The project: “Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD): Defining the Impact, Severity and Natural History of NAFLD in Canadian First-Nations and non-First Nations Communities”
- Term: 5 years
- Approved total funding amount: $2,031,075.
- Principal Investigator (PI): Julia Uhanova, Section of Hepatology,
Gerald Minuk, Section of Hepatology,
Brenda Elias, Department of Community Health Sciences;
Robert Tate, Department of Community Health Sciences
Byron Beardy, Four Arrows Regional Health Authority
The project: Promotion of breastfeeding for preventing type 2 diabetes and obesity In First Nations mothers and children in communities.
- Term: 3 years
- Approved total funding amount: $424,575.
- Principal Investigator (PI): Gary Shen Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Co-investigators: Sora Ludwig, Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism
The project: Heparin anticoagulation to improve outcomes in septic shock: The HALO International Phase II efficacy RCT
- Term: 3 years
- Principal Investigators: Ryan Zarychanski (Nominated), Anand Kumar, and Dean Fergusson
- Co Applicants: Alejandria M, Yvette Barez, Cook DJ, Turgeon AF, Marshall JC, Fox-Robichaud A, McIntyre LA, Ramsay T, Green R, and Murdoch Leeies (Critical Care Fellow)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research ($631,000) – International sites and trial infrastructure
- CancerCare Manitoba Foundation ($120,000) – Patients enrolled in Manitoba
- Philippine Council for Health Research & Development ($125,000)–Patients enrolled in Philippines
This international trial will be directed from Manitoba, but will enroll patients from several high, middle and low income countries.